Monday, June 4, 2007

Photoessay #17 - Hawaii anticipation


Last March, I, along with my husband Dennis, his uncle Alan and my brother Charlie, went on an 8 day trip to Oahu, ostensibly for the Pepsi Malhini Kipa Aloha softball tournament to watch my daughter play...but really it was a great excuse to go to Hawaii. This first picture of Charlie is a great introduction to the trip, a middle aged guy fresh off the plane hits Waikiki beach after a long flight from the east coast. It was so cold where he came from, that he still had his heavy winter coat over his shoulder when he arrived in the sun drenched Honolulu with the almost steady 80 degree temperature. Within an hour or so, he's on Waikiki with the surfers, big canoes, palm trees, towering hotels, warm water and soft sand. Oh yeah, finally here and it's just like in the picturebooks. This is already so great, what's the rest of the trip going to be like? Already, I like it a lot.

Though Waikiki is so crowded and commercial, I still like it. I appreciate the wide open beach where there seems to be room for everybody. You can wade or swim and gaze into the vast Pacific. Opportunities to surf and soak up the sun. Honolulu has done a great job in keeping their main beach attractive and accessible to tourists. That first night we were there, there was a band and some excellent hula dancers performing on the main part of Waikiki near the statues and the huge Banyan tree.

1 comment:

Oreo said...

Great picture of sunset with contiplative middle age guy! I could heat the waves crashing on the beach.

Oreo