Saturday, June 2, 2007

Photoessay #15 - Wedding from another region


The picture features a bride just about to walk down the aisle on the arms of her parents. All three, dressed in their wedding finery, look delighted and pleased. The wedding took place summer before last in Connecticut.

I regret to say that I don't know father of the bride, my cousin Mal very well or his wife Mary Ann. I've never ever even met their daughter, Betsy, the bride! But my cousin was kind enough to send some digital pictures.

My other Connecticut cousin, Mal's sister Mary Ann also had a formal wedding for her daughter that same summer. The astonishing part to me was the regional cultural expectations regarding weddings. To my cousins and their children, a wedding would, of course, be elaborate and formal. The dress would semi-formal and the family and the guests would expect to wear dresses and nylons and suits and ties. All rituals would be observed. A church wedding. Many attendants in matching ensembles, sit down dinner reception in a fancy hall, flowers and gifts, a large guest list, rehearsal dinner and showers, tuxedos, ritual photographs, gifts and food, limousines, etc etc

But the parents and the participants enjoyed the lavishly planned weddings very much.

No comments: