Monday, May 28, 2007

Photoessay #10 - Santa Cruz (myself)


Is this an entry about Santa Cruz or about myself? I was reluctant to post an image of myself for both security and vanity reasons. Maybe if I was 20 years younger and 50 pounds lighter!

But here I am at a pretty beach in Santa Cruz a very few weeks ago. My husband and I had some free time and drove around, mostly lost and looking for a beach. I'm not sure which beach this is but it was tucked away among the neighborhoods. I was delighted to have found it, it's a beautiful May Day and I want some contact with a warmer Pacific than we have around here. I am striding purposefully towards the water, I am not going to let this chance pass. At the time, I wasn't really looking forward or backward in time, it was a bit of the Santa Cruz experience that I wanted to make my own.

It's warm and sunny in that California light, so different from up here. In Washington State, the water never presents in this warm light blue color, this color is almost azure....

I lived in Santa Cruz to go to school many years ago. When I moved there, I thought Santa Cruz and the redwood forests above were the most beautiful place in the whole world...and I still feel that way. My friend describes it as a mix of Mediterranean and Pacific Northwest flora, very true!

No comments: